Compass School Manager and Parent Portal
To access the Compass Parent Portal, please click on the Compass icon above or click here.
At Avondale Primary School, we use Compass School Manager for a range of administrative tasks. Below is a brief overview of
the modules that will be made available to parents via Compass during 2020:
- Personal Details: This includes details relating to your child/ren and family contact details
- Attendance Approval: You are able to view and notify the school of absences and indicate future absences. This includes being able to approve any absence.
- News feed: You can view important information about events and activities that are happening across the school. The news feed is customised, showing only the information relevant to you and your children
- Calendar: You will have access to the school calendar and will be able to view the school term planner and all upcoming events along with your child’s schedule.
- Consent and Payment: You will be able to provide consent and make payments for all excursions, camps, incursions and other events.
- View school newsletters
Please ensure you have supplied the school with your current email address and phone number.
The details in Compass will be used to send emails regarding excursions, payments due, upcoming events and news items.
Changes to any information can be made using the COMPASS App or giving the information to the school office.
Please note: If the matter is something that has been decided by the courts, a copy of the order must be given to the school’s school office.
Parents are able to link to Compass by clicking the Compass icon, or alternatively, you can download the Compass School Manager application onto your device (**not all functions are available from the App).
The app is available for both Android and IOS devices
If you require assistance with access to Compass, please contact the school office.
Click here to view the Compass Parent Information Guide or Compass Parent Frequently Asked Question (FAQ) Guide
How to Access and Log into the Compass Parent Portal for the first time:
- To access the Compass Parent Portal, click on the Compass logo at the top of the page
- Login using the details provided to you by the school – upon first login, you will be prompted to confirm your email address and mobile phone number, and change your password.
The Home Screen will appear once you have successfully logged in to Compass. This provides you with relevant alerts that require your action or attention e.g. unexplained absences, a News Feed and quick links to your child’s profile.
How do I report an absence?
Full-day absences must be reported via the Compass Parent Portal – click below for instructions.
For the appropriate child:
Click on “+Add Attendance Note/Approval (Approved Absence/Late)
Select the reason for the absence from the drop-down menu, enter details as appropriate, select the correct date and click on the Save button.
How do I report lateness/leave during school hours?
Lateness and leaving during school hours are reported via the kiosk at the school office when you sign your child in and out (NOT via the Compass Parent Portal).
What does the term ‘Unexplained Absence’ mean?
This is Compass/DET terminology and simply means that your child has been marked ‘Not Present’ and that this has not been explained by another school activity or ‘Parent Approval’.
If you receive an alert regarding an ‘unexplained absence’, click on the alert, select the ‘unexplained absence’ you wish to approve and then click on the ‘Parent Approve’ button (above ‘Activity Name’) to enter the reason for the absence.
Please note that alerts only appear in the BROWSER version of Compass.
How do I access the News Feed?
The News Feed (My News) will appear (on the right-hand side of the screen) as soon as you log into the browser version of Compass. You can return to this page at any time by clicking on the ‘Home’ image in the tool bar at the top of the screen.
The News Feed appears on the ‘Home’ screen of the app (under the photo of your child/ren).
How do I view the School Calendar?
The School Calendar is only available in the browser version of Compass. From the Main Menu (tool bar at the top of the screen), select the ‘Calendar’ image (next to the ‘Home’ image).
- If you ‘hover’ over a calendar entry, more information is revealed e.g. venue.
- Click on the colour-coded tabs to hide/reveal layers in the calendar.
- The calendar can be viewed by ‘week’ or ‘month’ – just click on your preference (top right of the screen).
- Items that appear at the top of the calendar are either ‘all day’ events or times are yet to be confirmed.
If you ‘swipe right’ when in the app, there is an option to ‘Open in Browser’ which will enable you to view the School Calendar.
How do I update my email address & mobile number?
Upon first log in via a web browser you will be prompted to update this information. You can update this information at any time by accessing Tools (cog at the top right of the screen) > Update My Details (only available in the browser version).
My child’s photo does not appear?
Your child’s photo will not appear if your child was not present for School Photos.
Can I reverse an approval for an absence once it has been entered?
Parents cannot edit or delete approvals once they have been entered into Compass – please contact the school office on 9318 1755 if an approval needs amending.